Acropolis Museum in Athens ranks 8th among the top museums in the world, in Trip Advisor’s Traveller’s Choice global museums list. On the list, the Acropolis Museum ranked higher than the British Museum in London and the Louvre in Paris, even though they are among the most renown and most visited worldwide for decades.
This recognition does not come not as a surprise, as the new Acropolis Museum is a fascinating experience even before entering its contemporary, well designed facilities; Before stepping in, the glass floors unfolds findings from the Museum’s excavations and are a serious temptation to see what follows.
Enter the museum and indulge in a magnificent time travelling experience to Ancient Athens, the cradle of democracy, in 3 levels full of history, ancient Greek treasures, well-preserved materials , artifacts and statues, as well as imaginative presentations, especially the Parthenon reconstruction. With more 14,000 square meters exhibition space, covering a total area of 25,000 square meters, the museum houses finds from the sanctuaries that were established on the slopes of the Acropolis and everyday life objects that Athenians used in several historic periods.
Worth to say that Trip Advisor’s Travellers’ Choice awards are determined by an algorithm based on reviews submitted by the platform’s users. The list is compiled by taking into account the quality and quantity of the reviews submitted by users throughout the year.
Travel expert’s advice: For a deeper understanding of Ancient Greek history and culture, visit the Acropolis Museum first, before you walk up the Parthenon Sacred Hill. Also, organize your next activity hours later from your visit to the Museum, since you’ll definitely want to spend many fascinating hours inside. After your visit, stroll around Plaka and Monastiraki area in the historical centre of Athens, wander along the countless Ancient-Greece-inspired shops and pick one of the many restaurants to enjoy traditional Greek dishes.
See below the full list of the Best Museums of the World 2015:
1. Art Institute of Chicago
2. National Museum of Anthropology (Museo Nacional de Antropologia), Mexico
3. State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace, Russia
4. The Getty Center, L.A.
5. Galleria dell’Accademia/Statue of David, Italy
6. Musee d’Orsay, Paris
7. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, N.Y.
8. Μουσείο Ακρόπολης, Acropolis Museum Athens
9. Prado Museum, Madrid 10.Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial, Jerusalem
11. The National WWII Museum, Louisiana
12. National Gallery, London
13. Vasa Museum, Sweden
14. National Gallery of Art, US
15. British Museum 16. Hagia Sophia Museum / Church (Ayasofya), Istanbul
17. Instituto Ricardo Brennand, Brazil
18. Borghese Gallery,Rome
19. Musee du Louvre
20. The Rijksmuseum (National Museum),Amsterdam
21. Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum ,US
22. The Museum of Qin Terra-cotta Warriors and Horses, China
23. Ιnhotim, Brazil
24. Museum of New Zealand (Te Papa Tongarewa)
25. Gold Museum (Museo del Oro), Bogota